Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Smoking is Better For You

Or so it might seem.  The FDA is threatening to reduce the amount of Nicotine in U.S. sold cigs, which will make the habit more acceptable, appealing, and will offer competition to the E-Cigs.  Bizarre, right?  However, many analysts are advising against purchasing MO (Altria)'s stock because the bottom floor hasn't hit yet.  It has dropped dramatically since this news came out.

I bought it anyway.

The yield is great, and since I expect to NEVER sell the stock, I guess I'm in it for the long term effects.  However, if the dividend amount drops, I will reconsider.  Now I have positions in Philip-Morris and Altria.  Before I didn't think twice about tobacco stocks, but there is some benefit to this habit - and now it looks like it might get a lot healthier.  That might have some impact on my medical stocks (just kidding!).

I know I stated I would buy CHD next, but one thing I am learning during earnings months like July/August, that opportunities tend to pop up more.  I missed the boat on Lowe's, as it bounced back after the Amazon news.  I hope in the future I'll have more capital on hand to grab these stocks when they are a bargain.  Once the rocky road of earnings is over, I'll settle in and buy some CHD.  No promises though!


No comments:

Post a Comment