Friday, August 4, 2017

I'm Assessing the situation



Update:  My MO ownership is 9 shares.  I prefer to buy double digits of any stock, but I had to jump on the price.  The price has remained relatively flat since, I may just buy again after my next bi-weekly deposit.  I have finally aligned the transfer between institutions so that the money arrives on Monday, the best day of the week to buy (got to make that dollar go farther).  At over 22k in, I have an annual income of about $640.  As time goes on, I should have more buying power reinvesting dividends, and hopefully the dividends will grow.



Benchmark:  Comparing to YD at his August 2014 portfolio:
 I have:  19 different dividend stocks
He had:  17 (I don't count his Roth which he has recently done away with - I have no use for a Roth either with my situation - see "About Me")
I have: $22135 invested
He had: $25952 invested.  I may be able to catch up to that this month, I have some "ships" coming in.
I have:  Average yield of 3.06%
He Had:  3.82%.  I will attempt to meet or beat that with purchases later this month.
I have:  Annual Divs of ~$631.48
He had:  Annual Divs of $1039.23 Whew!  pretty impressive, considering the minor disparity on yield.
Our sectors are quite a bit (unintended to be) similar at this point, consisting mostly of staples and utility stocks.  Granted, the prices have grown dramatically for similar stocks, which could explain the div/yield disparity, but I won't let that daunt me.  While I believe there isn't a bubble, the market is just "righting" itself after the previous administration's policies (with a little capitalistic optimism thrown in), the time will come when I will be able to get some good bargains, which brings me to my...



Goals:  I aspire to the following (current) goals, in order of short to long-term:
1)  Receive four digit dividends by the end of the year.  Hit the $1k mark!
2)  Obtain 30 different dividend stocks.  I will be cutting this close if I aim for the end of the year.  Assuming I obtain 3 more stocks this month, and 2 a month thereafter, I should *just* make it.  Of course, if there are any crazy sales on what I currently own (like MO staying flat), of course I will forego this goal, but typically, diversity trumps all else.  YD currently is at 40, but for now I just want to hit the 30 mark to be fully diversified and then be more aggressive on the next goal...
3)  Obtain (over) 100 shares of each stock.  This is what I would call an "abstract goal".  I would like to obtain a "round lot" of each stock.  This is definitely a long-term goal, depending on sales and weight in my portfolio.  This is not a hard and fast rule - but if I have to choose between a lightweight vs. a heavyweight in my portfolio, or nothing particularly attractive that week, I'll just start at the cheapest stock and take it to a round lot.  With that as a base, I can start growing out from there.  This may take many years.  I will add watchlist stocks as they become attractive, but I would like to see my "children" mature above the total amount of stock of "9" (like my current MO holdings).
And finally...
4)  Make $30k (to be adjusted for inflation) a year on dividends.  This is my minimum goal, and sufficient for retiring early in central/south America, and to hold me over if I live to see my other investments kick in.  If I stay in the states, I would like to see it hit 50k.  With changes in government in various countries, inflation, stock market performance, lifestyle, this will determine my jumping off point for retirement.

Happy investing!

No comments:

Post a Comment