Thursday, August 10, 2017

Recent Buy: TGT - Sell: UN, ZN

Zion Oil (ZN) wasn't going anywhere, and the profits I had made from it (150%) was enough for me to walk away from the table.  It had been sitting for some time and that money could be better used on a dividend stock.  I also sold Unilever (UN) with its lackluster yield with just enough to break even from commissions.  While I enjoy this company being overseas (I need a few more international stocks), it has fallen out of favor with the dividend community.  Maybe in a few years...

I had been hemming and hawing with my wife about Target stock (TGT) for the past few weeks, and as I was going through the list of dividend champions, contenders, and challengers, it showed up.  I was searching for higher yield stocks to crank up my yield average - which I should be doing since I am "under the gun" time wise - and it stood out.  Good beta, good dividend yield, aristocrat (how did that happen??), good P/E, lower today due to Macy's earnings... I couldn't find a fault with it except it was Target (I've never been a fan), it was retail (a sector I'm not a fan of), and it was cyclical.  I decided to just get it and get it over with - it is the best looking retail stock out there, with Home Depot (HD) the best looking for growth.  I'm 14 shares in before the holiday ramp, and will add more probably after the holidays when it goes back down.

I am prepared to be done with retail with two stocks in that sector.

I had mentioned before I wanted to buy both Home Depot & Lowe's.  After doing some research - it appears Home Depot has some growth possibilities, but Lowe's does not.

Now that I have a solid base, I will be aiming for higher yield stocks on the CCC lists for my next 10 stocks.  I am hoping to make a large purchase of 2-4 stocks by the end of the month to help bring my average yield higher.

I can't seem to find a tech stock I like.  I don't expect to buy from that sector anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment