Thursday, July 20, 2017

Unilever, Home Depot vs. Lowe's vs. AMAZON??

Unilever
The maker of Axe, Best Foods, and Dove.  Dutch owned (graph above is in Euros) and aggressively pursued by Kraft-Heinz.  All the makings of a dramatic stock story.  I bought in on Wednesday $636.01 worth, and it is up a dollar today due to strong earnings data this morning.  With the dollar weakening, this stock only looks better.  Now sitting at about $610 a year in divs.

I decided to add Lowe's to my watchlist.  I think Home Depot and Lowe's are a duopoly, and I wouldn't mind a piece of them.  As I've said before, the retail market makes me cringe, but home improvement is the most appealing.  While I think HD is king, and I am a shareholder, I like how Lowe's aggressively pops up stores across the street from HD, and goes for the more aesthetic look, while HD has no shame appealing to the masculinity of the population.  I think both would be a good investment.

Lo and behold, a few minutes after I add Lowe's to my watchlist, Amazon cuts a deal with Sears for appliances sold online, causing HD to tumble down 6+ dollars per share!  While this is great news for Sears (up 15% last check), who was basically ready to be put down like Old Yeller, I don't see how this is bad news for HD.  HD matches prices with Amazon last I checked.  Wouldn't you rather buy your hot water heater for the same price or lower from HD than from an online delivery?  Maybe not, but I still think large appliance purchases still command time from the consumer to go to the store and check it out.  I'll keep an eye on things, as usual, it will be interesting to see if HD bounces, and if Lowe's is still appealing when it is their turn to be considered.  Right now I expect to buy into CHD for my next purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment