Thursday, February 15, 2018

Correction Over, P&G Purchase

Looks like the correction is over.  😥 This is the "Disappointed but relieved" emoji.  I am disappointed I couldn't take more advantage of it, but relieved it was only a correction, or VIX cover, or interest rates, or whatever.  Now it looks like back to business as usual.

I only added about 3k into it when it happened.  I have plenty of dry powder waiting for an all-out crash, but will pull a bit more from the stash if we have another correction.

Most of the purple and pink (companies that are -10% and -5% respectively) in my portfolio are gone.  Only the REITs persist due to interest rates rising, and they seem to have found somewhat of a floor.  This probably means I will be buying them on the slide down until I am overweight.  In May or June, I will be able to start tax harvesting.  I actually have a loss carryover from last year (I did mention my OLD stocks were stinkers), but I may have a hard time finding many stocks that apply.  Right now, Philip Morris will be the first to go.  Nothing against smokers, but you can see my previous blog on tobacco stocks for my take on them.  That will probably net me only a negative 300-400 dollars.  I bought some of O at $57 (glad I didn't buy in at $70), and that lot will probably be sold if the interest rates keep rising.

Right now I aim to harvest by shifting the money from a bad stock price, into something with a comparable or higher yield.  If I did this today, PM would probably be shuffled into CMP or SO (Compass has fallen on rough times due to city salt stockpiles), while O would probably end up in MAIN.  PM and O have *very* good yields, so they have a tough time finding something that meets or beats.

My higher yield stocks have the highest market volatility, compared to my lower yield stocks which are quite sturdy (MasterCard rounding out the bottom with excellent returns).

Oh yeah, PG: 7 more shares after a nice drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment