Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Dividend Investor's Dream


The pullback finally happened!  And while I'm glad it did, I wish I had more money on the sidelines.  The main issue is getting money into my brokerage fast enough (thank goodness for photo check deposit!).  I dropped some in Monday, which was available this morning, and I also dropped some in late last night which showed up midday today.  I was able to purchase:

20 shares of MAIN (right before it took off)
19 shares of XEL (came back a little, but still pretty flat).

Both stocks were +10% underwater in my portfolio, but now only the REITs are (well, O as of right now, NNN is close).  I decided to go with MAIN first, as the bank stocks are set to bounce back after the spanking Wells Fargo got from Yellen.  Then XEL, and this was a tough decision, but I decided to go with XEL over the REITs in the afternoon trading because I'm betting on a good quarter for earnings, and because Utilities seem to be getting closer to the floor (at least until the next rate hike).  XEL was also a pick by YD a month ago, and I got it for $5 cheaper than he did.  I am getting more money in by tomorrow, so I will see about the REITs then.  Depending on how the market acts tomorrow, will decide if I deposit more money in the account for Thursday (and Friday) purchases.

It has been a roller coaster, but a fun one!  I'm still ahead on my gains, but I *did* lose more than half of the gains I had accumulated.  This plus my 401k put a dent into my net worth, but I'm optimistic about it bouncing back by the end of the month.  My annual income jumped about $87 with the above purchases, and will probably round out to $100 extra per year with tomorrow's purchases.  We will have to see what Yellen's replacement does to an already jittery market.  I feel bad for any people who finally decided to jump in during January, I'm sure they were discouraged, but then, they took over a year to do it.  I'm lucky I started in May, though I started late as well.  However, if you have been sitting on the fence, now is a good time to jump into some dividend stocks.  Yields have pumped up quite a bit!

Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment