Monday, June 1, 2020

Tax Harvest Time! NNN out, WPC in

Last month I was sweating a few sectors.  One of them was the REIT sector.  O (Realty Income), had received the majority of their lease payments from tenants.  NNN (National Retail) only received about half their lease payments.  I started looking into my watchlist for a similar dividend paying REIT, and I think I found a better one.  WPC (W. P. Carey) had a good yield, 92% of their tenants paid up, limited retail exposure, 9 years of dividend increases, and many other favorable attributes.  Now I had to do the math - if I completely sell my NNN shares (before they cut their dividend), and use that cash to buy WPC, what will it net me?

- Peace of mind: one less drop of sweat from the real estate sector
- About $10 more a year annually in dividend income: So no loss to my income
- $800 and change loss I can write off on my taxes: harvest time!

So I made the biggest move in my portfolio in years.  NNN, despite how long they have generated dividend income, despite how long I have held them, although they haven't cut their dividend, has left the building.  My "never fall in love with a stock" philosophy was successfully tested, and now my portfolio is more recession proof than ever before.

As far as the other risky sector stocks, there hasn't been much change except slow recovery.  Well, slow is pretty relative, seeing as how we may avoid a depression and just see a recession.  Of course, it is too early to tell anything, but I'm feeling pretty good about the purchases I made during the height of the pandemic.  There still a few great yields out there, and I hope to keep taking advantage of them. "Never let a crisis go to waste", as Churchill said.

Dividend Increases & Special Payouts

Nothing this month.  No cuts, though.



May Purchases:

HRL 5
NNN 9
NNN -112
WPC 58
SO 3
QCOM 5
ORI 26
O 4
ADM 4
MAIN 4

No comments:

Post a Comment