Saturday, August 31, 2019

Old Republic Offers Special Dividend Again!

Last time ORI offered a special dividend, I called it "Breaking News!".  This insurance company, which I personally used as my home warranty during my recent move, has been doing great since the Trump era of reduced regulations.  Because of the reduced regulations removed by this administration (by ORI's admission), they offered their original special dividend of $1 per share, which I then loaded up on.  You can consider it as $1 off the share price, but in this case it actually doubles the dividend offered this year.  I hope this trend continues where they reward shareholders.  ORI is a nice slow-growth company with a decent dividend and a great balance sheet.  So hurry up and buy in before September 6th!  I'll probably grab some ORI before the 6th, but I'm hoping for some tradewar "bad" news to cause all the stocks to drop first.  I never thought I'd be such a bear when it comes to stocks, but dividend investing will do that to you.
Now

I have reached a full position on IP, and am closing in on a full position on ABBV.  I believe those two have found their "bottom" and should more or less go up from here.  My goal is to achieve 3-4% of my portfolio for each of my stocks, to ensure greater diversification.  However, if they yield higher than 5%, I crank them up to 4-5% in order to take advantage of the situation to play "catch-up" (since I started a little late on this gig).  

2 Years Ago
In the meantime, I've been setting up my own personal "margin" account.  My wife and I set up a savings account with my broker's partner bank (quick and easy transfers) that we are feeding extra cash into without detracting from our dividend investments.  I've already used it twice to catch good stocks on "bad" news days, and paid it back when the paycheck is deposited.  I think that with all the unsubstantiated talk in the media about a recession on the way, it might be a good idea.  The problem with recessions is that you can actually talk yourself into one, but you can't talk your way out of one.  The only thing that worries me is the amount of subprime mortgages being allowed to exist in 2018 and even more projected for 2019.  This smells of 2007 all over again.  While I don't think you can prevent a recession (that's like trying to prevent winter), you can delay it, ease into it, and ease out of it.  So I guess I'm officially "saving for a rainy day".  Happy investing!





Dividends Received: $347.24 (the mid-paying month)
FAST  $16.50
ABT  $6.08
$11.33
PG  $31.33
NNN  $37.60
MAIN  $22.55
HRL  $8.61
ABBV  $44.94
OKE  $50.73
APD  $17.40
MA  $5.28
$58.14
GIS  $36.75


August Purchases:
ABBV  12
IP  20
FAST  3
ORI  4
ADM  10
WSO  3

No comments:

Post a Comment