Thursday, October 12, 2017

AT&T

Bought 15 shares of AT&T on Tuesday.

My deposit was delayed due to Columbus day.  It gave me the chance to observe the effect of  the Monday purchase vs. Tuesday purchase.  Since Monday was down as it should be, Tuesday morning was right before the market took off.  I am considering moving my deposit to Tuesdays for a morning purchase, although it is hard enough to wait through the weekend for the deposit to drop.  I know when I get to the $500+ point per month on dividends, thus having more cash on hand,  I will be able to make better choices on purchases (i.e. buying in when CMP's salt mines experienced an earthquake).

AT&T has been largely flat in my portfolio.  However with my previous purchase of the low yield Hormel, I wanted to offset that yield with a higher yielding one.  Since it is harder and harder to find high yielding stocks due to the market going up, I looked inward to my own portfolio.  I had considered MAIN or ORI before bank earnings are released, but since I don't know much about the financial sector's effects after earnings, I decided to err on the side of caution.  I will be observing this unique sector and it's earnings ramifications this month.

I am having more difficulty finding stocks that fit my criteria for purchase, but there are a few gems out there, although not in every sector.  I am happy to see Altria (MO) recover after I averaged them down, and now they are positive in my portfolio.  I hope Philip Morris (PM) is able to do the same.

I will update charts at close today.  On the plus side, my profits have reached $1k, which is a 4% gain.  This gives me a lot of room to make some mistakes and takes some remorse pressure off me.  I am aggressively pursuing the goal of $1k in annual dividends by the end of this year, ergo I probably won't be looking into low yield stocks for some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment